Bacon and potato soup
- 6 rindless bacon slices (390g), chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups(500ml) water
- 1 kg(2 pounds) potatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 cup(250ml) chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups(300g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus extra leaves to serve, 100 gr shredded mild cheddar cheese and chopped chives
- Put a little oil in a large saucepan. Turn the stove on to medium heat and heat the pan. Add the bacon and garlic to the pan; stir with a wooden spoon until the bacon is crisp.
- Add the water, potato and stock; turn up the heat to high and boil the soup. Turn down the heat. Put a lid on the saucepan; let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Add the sour cream to the soup; stir until the cream is just heated through (do not let it boil or the soup may curdle). Take the saucepan off the stove. Stir in the parsley. Serve the soup topped with extra parsley leaves, add sharp cheddar cheese and chopped chives . Enjoy!