Crispy fried calamari recipe (Kalamarakia Tiganita)
- 700g calamari (25 oz.)
- 100g bread flour (3.5 oz.)
- 50g semolina flour (1.5 oz.)
- 1 tbsp peppercorns (or grounded pepper)
- 2 tbsps salt
- 1/2 tbsp paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp oregano (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- To prepare this super easy fried calamari recipe, clean the calamari and wash thoroughly. Using a sharp knife cut the calamari in slices, approx. 1 cm each. This will create the rings, as seen in the picture below. Place the calamari rings on some paper towel to get ride of the excessive water.
- Prepare the seasoning for the fried calamari. In a blender add the seasoning and pulse until powdered. (Alternatively you can use a pestle.)
- In a large sandwich bag or tupperware add the flour and seasoning. Place in the sliced calamari and shake well to coat (you will need to do this in batches). Remove the calamari onto a plate, shaking of any excess flour.
- Into a medium sized frying pan pour enough vegetable oil to deep fry the calamari. Heat the oil to medium high heat until it begins to bubble. Test if the oil is hot enough by dipping one of the calamari rings in; if it sizzles the oil is ready. Fry the calamari in batches for about 2-3 minutes, until nicely golden.
- Remove the fried calamari using a slotted spoon and place on some paper towel to dry for 1-2 minutes. Have a taste and sprinkle with some more salt.
- Enjoy this delicious Greek fried calamari recipe with a last minute squeeze of a lemon.