Roasted garlic basil tomato soup
- 1 head of garlic
- olive oil
- 6 slices Bacon
- 1 Shallot, sliced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 l chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 (400 gr) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- fresh basil
- Start by roasting garlic. Cut the top off a whole head of garlic to expose the cloves inside. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Wrap in tin foil and bake in a 375 oven for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, unwrap garlic and squeeze cloves out of head. Chop roughly and set aside.
- Cut bacon into pieces and fry in a large dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is cooked through.
- When bacon is cooked, add diced carrots, sliced shallots, and chopped roasted garlic to pan and cook 4-5 minutes to allow vegetables to soften. Add tomato paste and dried basil and let cook another 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add whole tomatoes, chicken stock, and parmesan rind (optional). Bring soup to boil then reduce and let simmer at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, stirring occasionally.
- After soup has simmered, use an immersion blender to puree soup until it reaches your desired consistency. You can also do this in batches in a blender. Taste soup and add additional salt and pepper to taste. After pureeing and seasoning, let soup cook another 10-15 minutes on low.
- Serve with fresh basil and warm bread or a melty grilled cheese sandwich.